Sunday 20 April 2014

God in the Digital Age

Really?
 
Why.
 
Why would an IT guy be talking about God. Odd, given that I walk in a very 'secular' world.
 
I remember that when I worked for Pearson in Practice we even had a policy safeguarding the employees from saying anything which could be 'volatile', 'contentious' and we were even advised to monitor when we sent emails and Facebook posts. I realised that although the intentions were good, the problem and solution were much greater.
 
So who am I to preach to you? I'm not, and won't. Don't worry.
 
I moved to "The Faithfull City", Worcester, from 'the other Faithfull City' - Coventry. I grew up with a Catholic family background, went to a 'High School' with 'High Church' values and it has taken me ten years to undo the 'damage' of 'religiosity'. I now attend and am very pleased to be part of St Pauls' church. Around 100 years ago the church was set up (I believe) by Rev Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy ('Woodbine Willie') who is famous for his direct support of soldiers in the WW1 trenches. His church is now an 'Assemblies of God' Pentecostal church. It is lovely. The church is passionate, from the heart and deeply caring. It is a charismatic and supportive church. If you are Doctor, Manager or Lawyer wanting to 'show your face' then this is not for you. If you like a good sing-song, pop concert and want to just enjoy how good life actually is then this is definitely the place for you!

St Pauls' is now over 150 delegates full in the morning and a further 100 in the evening. It can be found in Worcester City Centre between a major car park and a massive Asda. It has been the father of many 'plant' churches over the past 30 years and continues to inspire.

I'll be honest - I used to hate all of the pop music. I believed that it had no place in church. I would turn up in a suit, not dance and sneer on others. I learned to love other people, accept their faults and finally to even to make friends. I remember one song to the tune of Pet Shop Boys' "Go West" and laughed my head off! Then, I eventually realised that I was in the wrong here.




I am a member of a 'life group'. The principle is simple - each person is part of a group of approx. 10 people. Each group reports back to the church body and any support and pastoral care is done through the group. Each person helps each other.

We love the city. We also support other churches, religions and groups across the city as we realise that we are only part of a much bigger equation. All of this however is an anathema to a Secular IT sector, is it not? Well, if you've been through tough times you might consider what its all for. I am pleased that I can just take some time out from it all and think 'what would Jesus do right now?', even to just ask for help, both from a higher power and also from my peers in the Life Group in a supportive way.

The church is now full of people all avid Facebookers, telling the world through Foursquare all of the events that have been taking place at the St Pauls church and is full of over 100 tweeters, but it doesn't stop there - the church takes a regular stream of online donations, published weekly podcasts of the key messages and discussions held and has a fervent online following. If it wasn't for the Digital Age, we'd have to shout a little louder, but the interest in what the church has - a friendship,  a supportive network, pure kindness and love for our fellow person, would still be there.

We live to care for our fellow people. I'm pleased to get this message out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment